Setting up a Remote Station – Part 9

Let me start with an apology. This site has been off the air for some weeks due to a server move initiated by my hosting provider. They gave me plenty of warning, but unfortunately the move took place whilst I was away and unable to react. Hopefully all is well now.

Nearly complete

It’s been some time since I last posted on this topic because I have been away on an extended trip. However, I’m back now and am now very nearly (hopefully) at the point where I can move the completed station to its new location. Since the last update, I’ve been able to:

  • Resolve the networking issue I grappled with in the previous post by adding an intermediate Ethernet switch.
  • Rebuilt the Station Control Computer to run Home Assistant on its preferred operating system – Home Assistant OS. HAOS is a stripped down Linux built using BuildRoot: which is optimized for embedded devices.
  • As a consequence, I’ve also migrated a couple of the additional systemd services I used before, to use Home Assistant Addons, viz: The code to monitor the UPS, the code to monitor the Pi, and the code to control the fan in the Argon40 case I am using. For the UPS, I am now using NUT rather than APCUPSD. This forced me to change the code in the Windows PC as well.
  • I’ve also added integrations to display the current RF conditions and provide warnings of any local thunderstorms.

My main tasks still outstanding are:

  • To source an auto-disconnect for the antennas.
  • To build a 12V injector to feed power to the SG-230 ATU that will be located at the base of the antenna.
  • To enable the MQTT service on the router, so it can report status to Home Assistant
  • To work on the Home Assistant dashboard that will be used to control everything.
  • Develop automations to disconnect the antennas and power off the ATU if lightning is detected close by, or when the radio is off.

Once I have fixed the final location I can also:

  • Decide on what is needed to house everything, which will also let,
  • Lay everything out on a plywood base board,
  • Finalise cable lengths and source screened cables for everything.

So, actually there’s quite a lot still to do.

In the next post, I’ll summarize where we are and include some diagrams that should hopefully make everything clearer.